So today is Thanksgiving Day, which means that plenty of you will be cooking all day! But in truth Thanksgiving means plenty of things to plenty of people. So to liven things up we thought we would rain some TDay Tidbits on you for thought.
- Sarah Josepha Hale, magazine editor and author of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" campaigned to make Thanksgiving a national holiday and is largely credited with for it being made so.
- It is considered bad luck to slaughter a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States because he felt the turkey was a "much more respectable bird".
- According the US Restaurant and Diner Group the number of families visiting Chinese restaurants to have duck has increased 43% since the release of "A Christmas Story".
- In 1939 President Roosevelt changed Thanksgiving Day from November 30 to November 23 in order to extend the Christmas season and spur the economy. But only half the states went along. So in 1941 Congress declared the fourth Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving.
- California is the turkey eating capital of the US.
- The total weight of turkeys consumed on Thanksgiving is more than the weight of the population of Hawaii.
- Thanksgiving is responsible for 20% of annual cranberry sales.
- A turkey can run up to 25 MPH
- The old wives tale of a turkey looking up in the rain and drowning has been linked to a genetic disorder called "Tenatic Torticollar Spasms" according to Oregon State University scientists.
So here is the sticker on those. Four of those are lies! Can you guess which ones?
Have a good Thanksgiving. Be safe. And if you are frying a turkey, have the good sense to have a fire extinguisher nearby!
But don't get too comfortable after gobbling all of that turkey down. It's just a matter of hours before we have to pack and get ready to head to Autodesk University 2012! If you haven't downloaded the AU App yet, then do it and friend our Kung Fu Warlord, Curt Moreno. He'll be the networking fool on the scene with the sexy mustache, so say hi!
From here on it's Las Vegas or bust ...
- KFD -